Jim Stewart

Karl Townsend wrote:
The file backup utility in our sales program has crashed and burned.

I need to make a batch file that I can just have the operator click on the
icon and run it. One command I need help with is a MD command having a
unique name for each date. Any format for date would be fine. The file would
go something like this

CD\SALES
MD today's date
CD today's date
COPY C:\SALES\*.DBF
COPY C:\SALES\*.CDX

I know this is totally way off topic. Almost as bad as discussing politics.
Metal content: The SO put her foot down, I can't start welding on the next
project until this is fixed. We have a scraper, dozer and trackhoe here
building the pad for the new machine shop. Need a custom metal grate for the
highway culvert right now.

I prefer to run a Quickbasic program that dynamically
generates the batch script then shells out and runs
it. I have a QB program that runs every night on my
backup server that does the following:

Creates a subdirectory on drive D: (which is hot-
swap raid 1) of the form yymmdd

Copies the network server over completely to the
subdirectory using xxcopy and the copy everthing
option.

Creates a subdirectory inside that subdirectory called
\website

Generates and runs an ftp script that copies over
a tarball backup from my internet server that it created
the day before onto that subdirectory.

Since my backup server has 300 gig drives and the
network server is only about 3.5 gig, the backup server
keeps about 80 days worth of backup images. I go
through and prune them down to weekly every once in
a while.

Every friday night, I break the raid mirror, pull
one of the backup drives and stick it in my car.
I put in the drive that was in my car and resync
the mirror. No reboots no hassle. I spend about
10 minutes a week doing backups.