Al Bundy

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We have a new interior latex paint job on the home, which
includes the door and door hinges. It looks great now but some
of the doors won't open. On a really hot day we can't even
open some of the doors. Our grandmother essentially cannot
leave the house until it cools down. The moment when we do
successfully open some of the door a loud bang will occur. This
wakes up everyone. How do I stop freshly painted doors from
sticking?

Thanks

Your doors were tight before the paint job. Now they are tighter and
sticky from the new paint too. Usually the sticking area is near the
top edge somewhat because the door has probably sagged. You might be
successful by tightening the hinges if they are loose. That might pull
the door up a bit and in at the top. However, it sounds like more will
be needed, namely, planing the edge with a hand plane. If you look
carefully you will see the tight area from the rub marks being left by
the sticking. Concentrate planing in this area and you will find the
door opening fine. Plane an extra amount. Test it for a few days and
then give it a light coat of paint.