Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Sam Nickaby

Default Newly painted door sticks.

We have a new interior latex paint job on the home, which
includes the door and door hinges. It looks great now but some
of the doors won't open. On a really hot day we can't even
open some of the doors. Our grandmother essentially cannot
leave the house until it cools down. The moment when we do
successfully open some of the door a loud bang will occur. This
wakes up everyone. How do I stop freshly painted doors from
sticking?

Thanks

RicodJour

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We have a new interior latex paint job on the home, which
includes the door and door hinges. It looks great now but some
of the doors won't open. On a really hot day we can't even
open some of the doors. Our grandmother essentially cannot
leave the house until it cools down. The moment when we do
successfully open some of the door a loud bang will occur. This
wakes up everyone. How do I stop freshly painted doors from
sticking?

Plane down the edge(s) of the door to allow expansion/contraction
movement due to temperature and humidity (the bigger problem).
Repaint.

tom

Unless there's an expansion/contraction problem, you could wax the
places that the doors contact when closed. Tom

Al Bundy

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We have a new interior latex paint job on the home, which
includes the door and door hinges. It looks great now but some
of the doors won't open. On a really hot day we can't even
open some of the doors. Our grandmother essentially cannot
leave the house until it cools down. The moment when we do
successfully open some of the door a loud bang will occur. This
wakes up everyone. How do I stop freshly painted doors from
sticking?

Thanks

Your doors were tight before the paint job. Now they are tighter and
sticky from the new paint too. Usually the sticking area is near the
top edge somewhat because the door has probably sagged. You might be
successful by tightening the hinges if they are loose. That might pull
the door up a bit and in at the top. However, it sounds like more will
be needed, namely, planing the edge with a hand plane. If you look
carefully you will see the tight area from the rub marks being left by
the sticking. Concentrate planing in this area and you will find the
door opening fine. Plane an extra amount. Test it for a few days and
then give it a light coat of paint.

Pop

Lates paint will do that unfortunately; it loves to adhere to
itself. Assuming the door fits are correct and there isn't
interference when they are closing, the it's the paint sticking
them together. It can last for weeks after painting - the latex
takes forever to fully cure even though it's dry, because of
lack of air when the door is closed.
If it's the paint, it will be obvious at the contact areas;
you'll see the cross-planting of the paint when it splits apart.
Clear tape would work too, but wherever you use it is likely to
pull the paint off when you eventually remove it.

Wax or even soap rubbed on the sticking areas might help but
it'll also prolong the cure completion time.

HTH

Pop

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
news : We have a new interior latex paint job on the home, which
: includes the door and door hinges. It looks great now but some
: of the doors won't open. On a really hot day we can't even
: open some of the doors. Our grandmother essentially cannot
: leave the house until it cools down. The moment when we do
: successfully open some of the door a loud bang will occur. This
: wakes up everyone. How do I stop freshly painted doors from
: sticking?
:
: Thanks
: