krw

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:55:17 -0700, "SQLit" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
I need to replace a power cord on my welder. It's #8 wire and the

original cord
is nice and flexible, but all I can seem to find is the solid copper rigid
stuff.

Look for SO or SJ cord. Your not going to like the price. The box stores
may not have it. An electrical wholesaler surely would.

Thanks for the tip. But what does SO and SJ mean?

It's a rubber jacketed stranded wire cable. I believe SO insulation is
rated at 300V, where SJ is 600V. For 220V (8/3 w/ground) operation, I
think you need SJ.

What would you guess 25' is going to cost?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. ;-) I bought some 12/2
w/ground SO at the BORG last weekend for a little over $1/ft. I'd be
surprised if 8/3 was less than $6/7 per foot.

--
Keith