Swingman

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message

What astounds me is how poorly prepared the agencies (civic, state and
federal) appear to have been, and how quickly the facade of
civilization collapses.

Here in Canada we joked about our army being mobilized a few years ago
when Toronto got hit by a freak snowstorm, but the fact is they were
mobilized in hours, responded in hours and the operation was a success.

WTF is going on along the gulf coast? It's been FIVE DAYS and relief is
just arriving...

Pretty damn unbelievable, I agree.

However, as bad as it is, it _is_ heartening to see the reaction here in
Houston from many. Made four trips to a Red Cross drop-off point in my truck
thus far today, carrying clothes, canned goods, games, toys, blankets,
towels and every imaginable type of hygienic item, all donated by folks on
just the few streets surrounding mine. An e-mail to my immediate neighbors
this morning saying that since I had a truck, I could easily do a 'pickup
and delivery' for those who were unable, next thing I know I have a
mini-pickup point on my hands. The same thing is going on all over this
city.

When I get to these two drop-off points, the multitude of ORGANIZED
volunteers, from little kids to senior citizens, working to feed and clothe
the "refugees" here would make you feel a lot better that things are more
swiftly being addressed than you're going to see on the news.

I just watched a BBC newscast that had a decidedly political spin to it ...
really ****ed me off after what I've seen here all day.

That said, I agree with everything you say.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05