Darrell Stec

After serious contemplation, on or about Friday 02 September 2005 7:36 pm
wrote:

What shipping? Southern RR has lost 1.5 miles of rail across that
big lake and they are now searching for the rail in the lake. The
bridge is ok but no track to run on. Of course the rail yard is about
6ft under water right now.

Jim

Pete C. wrote:
Mark wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:50:54 -0400, fwb wrote:

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:13:16 GMT, DaveG wrote:

How long does it take for the reduction in refining to have an
effect on the amount of fuel available at the pump? I bet it's a lot
longer than the time it took the oil companies to put up the prices.

You've put your finger on a law of oil economics.

Price increase take effect immediately. Price decreases take effect
only when cheaper oil makes its way through the pipeline.

I gather that much of the US Coffee supply was in warehouses
in New Orleans.

[
Meanwhile, consumers may soon begin to pay for Katrina in other
ways.

Take coffee. New Orleans is the nation's second-largest port for
incoming coffee shipments. But redirecting those shipments doesn't
solve all the problems, because the city is also a major coffee
production center.

About a quarter of the entire U.S. stock of unprocessed coffee is
stored in New Orleans. More than half of the Folger's and Millstone
brand coffees sold by Procter & Gamble Co. are made at two plants in
New Orleans.
]
http://www.businessweek.com/sponsors/intercept/zedo.htm

A local store was having a sale .... advertised before
the storm .... I'm good for many months, IF I drink Coffee.
--
Cliff

Glad I switched to Tea. Although, I'm sure that will go up also.

Presumably most every commodity will see an increase due to the
increased shipping costs. Other than produce at your local farm stand
most everything gets shipped.

Pete C.

Where is Dave when you need him? His little gizmo flying thingy would have
come in handy for situations just like this.

--
Later,
Darrell Stec

Webpage Sorcery