Pete C.

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Rex B says...

Rest assured that they will still want their tax moneies come
November. All those folks who have been hammered by the hurricane
will be hammered again, paying washington for services they
never got in this debacle.

Every time something like this has come up, the IRS has provided relief
of some sort - extended deadlines, additional loss dedcutions. Remember
9-11?

Nice if it happens - I would not hold my breath though.

I seem to recall that the IRS had the best plans to recover after
natural disasters - the entire country could be in chaos, but they
still want your tax return.

Jim

please reply to:

Ok, so you still have to file a tax return - whoop-de-doo. You've
already paid the vast majority of your taxes with your withholdings and
if you're unemployed after Katrina you don't have any additional income
to deal with. If your property was destroyed you can forget about
property taxes too.

If you had a mortgage, banks are all suspending mortgage payments for at
least a few months for those in the areas hit, and if you had a mortgage
you will also have had insurance (mortgage requirement) so within those
few months you should be able to get your claim(s) settled and have the
mortgage paid off.

If you were unemployed, renting and on welfare, well then you still
don't have any taxes to worry about since you don't have income or
property.

Either way you're still homeless and looking for income, but taxes are
hardly an issue.

Additionally, if the state ordered an evacuation and they knew they had
a large population of low income folks without the means to evacuate,
then it was the states responsibility to help them get transportation to
evacuate. Line up some city busses and/or school busses to assist those
without the means to evacuate.

Instead they are sitting around and blaming the feds. The feds
responsibility is after the disaster, not before, and the states lack of
action before the disaster is what has greatly compounded the problems.

Pete C.