Amun

"Olaf" wrote in message
news

"Amun" wrote in message
.. .

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
nk.net...
With all these answers saying a GFI can work without a ground I had

check
for myself.

Seems that I was somwhat wrong.
But not totally.

I checked around and while some people claim they will work, none of

the
manufacturers recommend using these without grounds.

In some areas they do allow them in retrofits without grounds. (with

label)
Other places say absolutely NO WAY.

If they don't work then what are the things on the newer hair dryers ?

The
one my wife uses only had a 2 wire plug.

Don't know, and don't want to know.
The OP just wanted some help straightening out some outlet wiring

issues.

And now he has to replace all his outlets with GFI's and buy hairdryers.

SHEESH !

AMUN

Not all of them. Just the first in the daisy chain. The rest will still be
protected from ground fault.

It is not allowed in new construction, granted. But it makes a 2-wire
receptacle system much much safer and it is allowed specifically under

those
conditions with proper stickers affixed. Even plain jane 3-prong

receptacles
with no ground wire are allowed if the outlet is GFCI protected and so
labeled as GFCI protected and no equipment ground.

I do admit and agreed earlier in this thread that "it's still better than
nothing"
But not by much.

But the one main caveat of that solution is that some equipment really does
not like being on ground faults, (computers,tv power supplies, refrigerator
motors, UPS's etc.) and can pop a gfi for no valid reason.
Such things are usually in plastic isolated cases and make gfi protection
almost silly as there is no possible risk of shock, unless someone is really
begging for it.

Those items usually come with polarized plugs, and are designed to be
protected by a dedicated ground and fuse/breaker.

Even lightning storms in the area can flip a gfi from transients in the AC
line.

If the main gfi is in another room upstream of the outlet, there will be a
lot of worn carpeting while constantly running around guessing which one
tripped, and resetting them.

But the fact remains that the OP's real problem is best solved by simply
replacing all the wiring with romex with a ground.

Or at least first making sure that all existing outlets are wired as
properly as possible.
(hot and neutral where they should be)

AMUN