Chris Lewis

According to :
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:55:17 -0700, "SQLit" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
I need to replace a power cord on my welder. It's #8 wire and the

original cord
is nice and flexible, but all I can seem to find is the solid copper rigid
stuff.

Look for SO or SJ cord. Your not going to like the price. The box stores
may not have it. An electrical wholesaler surely would.

Home Depot has both

SJ is light-medium outdoor duty. If the cord is going to be "abused" (walked
on, taken outdoors, get wet, lying on gravel/metal grit, hit with lotsa
sparks etc), I'd recommend _against_ using SJ or dryer/stove cord. If it's
never going to move, and the cord is out of the way, _then_ SJ or dryer/stove
cord is okay.

SJ sheathing doesn't like UV very much, and the sheath is less puncture proof
than you want.

SO or SOW is what I'd use for a large welder unless the wire is protected.
_Much_ tougher stuff.

The "premium" wire for this is TECK cable - rubber-sheathed armor cable with
stranded conductors. It's what they use in mines, and power distribution for
things like carnival rides or outdoor concerts... Expensive as all getout,
special order.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est