Bud

Amun wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...

I had the same situation in my house. I was able to replace some of the
2 prong outlets to GFCI outlets. It is code in my jurisdiction, plus it
will protect you since there is no ground on the circuit. I think the
only thing you have to do is label each outlet downstream of the GFCI
outlet.

Uh, no way.

NO GFI outlet will ever work without a ground wire.

It may have power, but is merely a very expensive duplex outlet, and would
not meet any codes.
(But could fool a naive home/electrical inspector who didn't test it)

GFI's compare the power going through them is always equal in both
directions during each AC cycle, and use the ground wire as a reference.

No ground wire, no gfi protection.

GFCI outlets work correctly without a ground. The NEC allows grounded
GFCIs on circuits without a ground (the ground is connected to nothing).
The outlets have to be marked "No equipment ground", a label that is
often included with the GFCI.

A grounded outlet may also be connected on a circuit without a ground
available if the outlet is protected by a GFCI (including downstream
from a GFCI outlet). The outlet must be marked "GFCI protected" and "No
equipment ground".

(Reference: 2005NEC 406.3(D)(3).)

Other installation of a grounded outlet with no ground available is a
code violation and can be dangerous. A home inspector should find this.
In addition, you may be liable if this causes injuries after the house
is sold (although I am not a lawyer and do not play one on TV).

Bud--