Amun

"Zing" wrote in message
oups.com...
OP HERE

I ended up changing the 2 prong outlets to 3 prong outlets to avoid the
nuisance of using an adapter sticking out with the plug about 3 inches
from the wall.

I know everyone will say it is ILLEGAL.

I can still buy 2 prong duplexes from Lowes in my area for $1.64 each -
expensive compared to 3 prong for about 40 each in boxes of 10.

Back to the original post

I was careful to put the wires on the new 3 prong duplexes in same
fashion as the old 2 prong units - observing the BRASS and SHINY color
coding on the duplex outlets. Of course that assumes the original stuff
had not been changed. If the original wiring was correct, then I should
be getting a NO GROUND reading on the tester AFAIK.

1) I would appreciate it if someone could give me a few clues as to
what to look for.

2) In the past, I have heard of people putting SILICONE sealant into
the ground plug or putting a label saying NO GROUND onto the plate
cover. Would either of those meet any kind of codes in a grand
fathered in WW II house ? The ground with silicone would NOT allow it
to be used.
3) One poster mentioned POLARITY REVERSED or WORSE .
4) Like what ??? What should I be looking for ???

I am comtemplating moving if I can find something to afford to move
into in today' s market - maybe PA. I don't want surprises from the
house inspector if I can avoid it and remedy it myself.

TIA

You are correct, just changing the wires should now give you "no ground" at
all the outlets.
But if you get different light combinations, you have problems that can't
be answered in emails

Pointless to put silicone in the ground hole
And labels saying "no ground" will only be for your own benefit.

Using the 2 hole plugs "MAY" be the least (most correct) of all evils, so
that at least people will readily know there is no ground

No solution will "meet code" now if you have no grounds.

If you don't know what reversed polarity or worse ( hot in ground) means.
I would suggest you get in a proper electrician to see it and give you an
honest evaluation.

Saving a few bucks won't offer you any value in the longrun.
If you should have a fire, and an insurance inspector finds messed up
wiring, even if the cause was not wiring related, good luck getting a check

And even the most inept home inspectors can usually spot a wiring problem in
outlets.
(they use the same neon plug you do)

You may find that rewiring, while expensive, may still pay back when you
sell.

But if after this you STILL want to try yourself.

FIRST,....shut off the power at the main breaker/fuse

A 1950's house should have easily identified colors on the wires.
Whites, blacks, and the occasional red (that can be considered a black)

black (and red) should be HOT
white should be NEUTRAL
note "should" assuming there are not other problems with wiring elsewhere in
the circuits, or you are working in switch boxes.

On the outlets there will be the two "power" holes, and if you look close
one is slightly longer than the other
the longer one is for the neutral (white)

Under no circumstances should you EVER connect anything to the ground screw
other than a devoted ground wire.
Even if some idiot here or elsewhere tells you you can jump the neutral
there.

AMUN