Zing

OP HERE

I ended up changing the 2 prong outlets to 3 prong outlets to avoid the
nuisance of using an adapter sticking out with the plug about 3 inches
from the wall.

I know everyone will say it is ILLEGAL.

I can still buy 2 prong duplexes from Lowes in my area for $1.64 each -
expensive compared to 3 prong for about 40 =A2 each in boxes of 10.

Back to the original post

I was careful to put the wires on the new 3 prong duplexes in same
fashion as the old 2 prong units - observing the BRASS and SHINY color
coding on the duplex outlets. Of course that assumes the original stuff
had not been changed. If the original wiring was correct, then I should
be getting a NO GROUND reading on the tester AFAIK.

1) I would appreciate it if someone could give me a few clues as to
what to look for.

2) In the past, I have heard of people putting SILICONE sealant into
the ground plug or putting a label saying NO GROUND onto the plate
cover. Would either of those meet any kind of codes in a grand
fathered in WW II house ? The ground with silicone would NOT allow it
to be used.
3) One poster mentioned POLARITY REVERSED or WORSE .
4) Like what ??? What should I be looking for ???

I am comtemplating moving if I can find something to afford to move
into in today' s market - maybe PA. I don't want surprises from the
house inspector if I can avoid it and remedy it myself.=20

TIA