Don Lancaster

Ignoramus12789 wrote:
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:47:45 -0700, Don Lancaster wrote:

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:01:23 -0700, Don Lancaster wrote:

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Back off on the red.

Or redo major surfaces.

http://www.tinaja.com/auct01.asp

thanks Don... I will check it out...

See
http://cgi.ebay.com/Staplex-TF1A-Air-Sampler-As-New-110v_W0QQitemZ7541747736QQcategoryZ78216QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

for a "rust corrected" image.

Very nice result, all rust seems to be corrected away. A very fine
example of a "rust corrected", "As New" item. So, did you just
reduce the red component in the image? Did that "do it" for you?

quite impressed

Actually, I ADDED rust to this particular item!

It turned out that the wall behind the photo was brown and reflected in
the top of the ultra shiny stainless rear ring. The bottom reflected
blue-steel and the transition looked ungainly and awful.

So the top "rust" was drug down into its own bottom.

http://www.tinaja.com/auct01.asp

For an example of where bunches of rust were really removed, see
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rexnord-Stearns-Spring-Set-Electric-Disk-Brake_W0QQitemZ7534896436QQcategoryZ26227QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

In this case, fifteen of the sixteen items were still sealed in original
mil packaging and are presumed mint. The open one was rusted pretty
badly on its exterior.

Cosmetics are not usually a pressing issue on this particular item.
Either it works or it does not. And it is much easier to clean the image
rather than the item. No point is cleaning anything till it is sold.

This image did perhaps did wander a little too far off into the
caricature realm.

But somebody did just air overnight one of these at FIVE times shipping
costs. Haven't heard back for two weeks, so I presume they are happy.

The collectible market does not appear either well established or
mainstream on this item.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com