Bob AZ

When I have that problem it is always the lighting.
So I use the kitchen table in the afternoon when the light is not
direct from the outside. I also use the flash everytime.
Most digital cameras now correct the lighting/exposure so it looks like
the lighting is daylight. If not then the software will do it.
Perhaps your digital camera is not set to correct for lighting.
Finally take a lot of pictures until you get it right.
Remember also that there are colors that are obtrusive and some that
are not. Use a darker shade of blue for a background.