Terry D

Default Diamond wheel tile cutters

David wrote:
"Terry D" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a diamond wheel tile cutter which must be
capable of handling floor tiles. I bought a 'Challenge' cutter at
Argos for £29.99 but the wheel is catching on the base of the water
trough and the stick-on rulers are peeling off, therefore I haven't
even attempted to use it. The device is made in China, which
doesn't really instil confidence, and is marketed by Hilka. It's
going back to Argos ASAP. Argos have a more expensive machine - the
Pro Tiler Plus @ £39.99 - has anyone any experience of this model?
Although the cutting wheel is smaller (110mm compared 180mm), it has
a transparent blade guard and will handle 45 & 22.5 degree cuts and
it's claimed to handle tiles up to 25mm thick. The Plasplugs models
at this sort of price seem underpowered and flimsy and I would
prefer all metal construction.

I have only positive things to say about the plasplugs model,
although I did take the first one back as bracket holding the water
gaurd was bent. It has now been used to tile the porch and bathroom,
with tiles from 12-15mm thickness with no problems at all.

Personally I would imagine that the overall quality of a cheap plastic
version is better than a cheap metal one. At this level you need the
money to have been spent in the right places, and my first priority
would be the motor rather than the casing.

I don't rate the stick on rulers of the plasplugs or the tile guide,
but with careful set up and use there is no problem repeatably cuting
square edges, or cutting small angles where required.

cheers

David

Thanks to everybody for all the useful advice - I think I'll go with the
PlasPlugs Pro Tiler Plus. I would still appreciate any advice on ahesives &
grout.

Terry D.