David

Default Diamond wheel tile cutters

"Terry D" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a diamond wheel tile cutter which must be capable

of
handling floor tiles. I bought a 'Challenge' cutter at Argos for £29.99

but
the wheel is catching on the base of the water trough and the stick-on
rulers are peeling off, therefore I haven't even attempted to use it. The
device is made in China, which doesn't really instil confidence, and is
marketed by Hilka. It's going back to Argos ASAP. Argos have a more
expensive machine - the Pro Tiler Plus @ £39.99 - has anyone any

experience
of this model? Although the cutting wheel is smaller (110mm compared
180mm), it has a transparent blade guard and will handle 45 & 22.5 degree
cuts and it's claimed to handle tiles up to 25mm thick. The Plasplugs
models at this sort of price seem underpowered and flimsy and I would

prefer
all metal construction.

I have only positive things to say about the plasplugs model, although I did
take the first one back as bracket holding the water gaurd was bent. It has
now been used to tile the porch and bathroom, with tiles from 12-15mm
thickness with no problems at all.

Personally I would imagine that the overall quality of a cheap plastic
version is better than a cheap metal one. At this level you need the money
to have been spent in the right places, and my first priority would be the
motor rather than the casing.

I don't rate the stick on rulers of the plasplugs or the tile guide, but
with careful set up and use there is no problem repeatably cuting square
edges, or cutting small angles where required.

cheers

David