*

JohnF wrote in article
I want to contribute some money to an agency to help the Americans
that need it. I want the administrative a**holes getting as little as
possible.

Red Cross

Let's see......

The Red Cross siphoned donated money intended for 9-11 victim relief into
other accounts.

They take your blood without compensation and sell it for .....how much????

There are few - if any - ex-military people (especially WW II vets) who
have anything good to say about the way the Red Cross "helped" them.

My dad was a POW in Stalag 17 for 19 months and received toilet paper - not
food - from the Red Cross. He cursed them until the day he died. I would
feel very disrespectful to my father's memory if I gave money to the Red
Cross.

Salvation Army

I chose the Salvation Army ONCE for a donation of a few hundred dollars,
and was solicited at least six times per year for several years after that.
They will not ever get another cent from me.

Who?

What my wife and I have done for the last several years is to go down to
the local chain supermarket, buy a bunch of gift certificates, then give
them to leaders of local, well-established churches to distribute to the
less fortunate among their parishoners.

We've also given some certificates to the local homeless shelter and the
local food bank to buy necessary items.

I believe the small, local operations - especially the ones run by
volunteers - are far less likely to have money shrink through bureaucratic
red tape and more goes to where it was intended to go.

Just my opinion.........