George E. Cawthon

Red CloudŽ wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:03:16 GMT, User Example wrote:

I guess to you. I just go out in my driveway and slide under the car.
Takes about 10 minutes out of my dar. How long do you spend sitting the
lube place?

In ten minutes you get the car up in the air, change the oil and filter, inspect
and grease everything... SURE YOU DO!

I doubt you can do it properly in less than an hour. Actually, I doubt you can
do it properly at all.

Then there's driving to the autoparts store to buy the oil, grease and filter at
retail, and driving again to properly dispose of the old oil and filter. How
much time and gas for all of that?

You are a clown

rusty redcloud

I think you are right about the time. It takes me
about 45 minutes. Run the car up on a ramp (2
stacked 2x6's), get the tools, get the drain pan,
take the drain plug out. Let it drain for 10-15
minutes, during which time I have coffee or read
or watch TV. Put the drain plug back. Put in 1
quart and let it drain, (do that 5or 6 times).
dump the oil in a container. drive off the ramps
and put the boards back. Yep, about 45min maybe
an hour.

But I think you protest to much about the rest. I
buy oil by the case, enough for 2-3 changes
(depends on the vehicle). If I went specifically
for the oil, it would take me 10 minutes and a cup
of gas (the auto parts is about 1 miles away). I
buy filters at Walmart when I am there, so there
is no added time. Our garbage service picks up
oil, so the time value is about 1 minute to walk
to the curb.

The cost to me is $6.50 to 8.50 depending on the car.

BTW, I bought an oil change contract, when I
bought my truck. The minimum time I have ever
spent was 1 hour for an oil change when I stay
there and wait. It is always much more time when
I have them haul me home and then come get me when
the oil change has been completed. So far the
cost has averaged $16 for each oil change. I
figure I need another 4 years to get the average
cost below $10.