Phisherman

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:03:16 GMT, User Example
wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"User Example" wrote in message

RicodJour wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

Oh....you pay a little more for the oil & filter someplace else?
Whatever
for?

I think he's saying he doesn't change oil and filter because he won't
pay the exorbitant overheads involved in the manufacturing and
distribution of the products that he could just as well make for
himself...

46 oz juice can, stuffed with cheesecloth, attached with duct tape. Got
it!

No, that's not it. You forget who you're talking about. This is Mr.
Can-Do!, the perfectionist. He refines his own oil because if anyone
is gouging, it's the oil companies. The filter housings come from his
foray into smelting a while back, so he was already geared up for
production. The filtering medium was obviously left over from his
paper-making endeavours (paper grows on trees! Why should he pay
anything at all for it?).

Actually I change my own oil because I know that those guys don't grease
the ball joints or check any other suspension type stuff. They are too
busy undoing your airfilter so that they can get you to buy another one. I
change my oil every 3 months and check out the bottom of my car. Costs a
lot less than the jiffy lube and a lot more care goes into it. My Jeep has
over 300000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten and has never needed any
major service. Just a clutch, and I replaced that myself in an afternoon
and save $800.

Who needs good gas mileage when you can save the money by doing your own
maintenance?

I pay $29.95 for an oil change. My mechanic checks or greases all the
fittings that Toyota recommends for my 4 wheel drive vehicle. They check
brake pads and give me an idea of when to start thinking about service. He
greases hood latch, tailgate latch, all door hinges & latches, checks brake
fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and tops them off at no
charge if they need it. At 12000 miles, he noticed some rust on the rear
bumper, underneath where I probably wouldn't have noticed it. That enabled
me to get it replaced under warranty. At 18000 miles, he noticed that the
tires were wearing unevenly. Back to the dealer, since alignment is covered
by warranty. They said it was within spec, and didn't adjust. My mechanic
did some research and found, IIRC, that this truck wants its front wheels
dead center within the range of spec, not just "within the range". He
probably saved me having to spend $500 on tires a year or two too soon.

Sounds worth it to me.

I guess to you. I just go out in my driveway and slide under the car.
Takes about 10 minutes out of my dar. How long do you spend sitting the
lube place?

Same here. It takes about 10 minutes of my time. Replacing brake
pads takes less than a half hour. I check tire pressure and fluid
levels while filling up at the station.