Lobster

Default Building Regs

Hugo Nebula wrote in message . ..
On 15 Jun 2004 01:35:53 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named
(Lobster) randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I had a slightly similar situation myself, in that I am doing my
current project under a building notice. The BCO has been round many
times to inspect, and on one visit, said 'did you put sound insulation
in those partition walls?' (she'd seen them previously, before the
plasterboard was fitted) 'Er, no, did I need to...'

Perhaps you should have just nodded your head and lied. It's a little
game we have to play sometimes, like, "Have you put a cavity tray in
above the new lean to roof?" "No, it's too fiddly and time consuming."
"Wrong answer, try again".

Hugo, I'm shocked...!

It did occur to me; however it was not a particularly awkward one to
comply with, so I did the Right Thing. Anyway, I was fairly happy
with the visit all told; the other thing the BCO was inspecting was
the sound insulation which she'd requested I fit to my party wall, and
I was then in the middle of installing it. Now, unfortunately the gas
and electric meter are fixed to the same wall, and enter the property
flush with the wall. With rising horror I realised that full
compliance would mean moving both meters and service entry points,
digging up the pavement to do so. She considered this my setup for
what seemed like ages, then said, 'nah, OK you can leave that
insulation off that bit'. Phew...

As a BCO you'd know better than me, but isn't there an element of
trust; as in, if the BCO catches out a builder telling porkies,
(s)he's never going to believe him again? And I'll bet you've found
yourself demanding that hidden foundations/lintels etc are re-exposed
for inspection, despite all protestations that the specs are OK?!

I regard dealing with BCOs a bit like dealing with my teenaged
daughter; but only in so far as I think it's best to save my arguments
for the really serious stuff!

David