Doug Kanter

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:k3_Qe.12803$cY.8442@trndny06...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

I pay $29.95 for an oil change. My mechanic checks or greases all the
fittings that Toyota recommends for my 4 wheel drive vehicle. They check
brake pads and give me an idea of when to start thinking about service.
He greases hood latch, tailgate latch, all door hinges & latches, checks
brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and tops them off
at no charge if they need it.

I get that for $24.95 at a local guy, not a big franchise. He does not do
any of the other work that you mentioned , so he has no reason to try to
scam anyone for a brake job or ball joints. But, as you point out, he is
able to spot stuff while under the car.

I used to change my own oil but when I bought a new car in 1991, that
changed. I bought the oil, bought the filter, drove the car up on ramps
and could not find the filter! It was mounted off the engine on an
auxiliary block that was difficult to reach fun underneath. Easier if you
jacked the car and turned the wheels to one side. That was my last oil
change. As I get older and less agile, I have less interest in crawling
under a car. I find it easier to earn the money and pay to have it done.

I forgot to mention (in response to Mr. Example) that the first time I asked
this mechanic why he didn't recommend an air filter, he said "Check it
yourself. You don't need us for that". Another time, he said that 99% of the
time, they find the filters aren't ready to be replaced when the car maker
says they should be. So much for ripping off the customer.