User Example

Doug Kanter wrote:
"User Example" wrote in message
. ..

Well, you go paint some houses for a living and see what you end up
charging as a working wage...

But according to the post that started all this, the plumber had quoted
his rate per hour, the material cost, and the length of the job, but the
total estimated price for the job was far more than the sum of these,
even allowing for it taking longer than estimated.

When we were living in NY and getting our car fixed and they told us that
the parts would cost $200 and it would take 3 hours labor at $90/hr., do
you think we would have been happy to end up with a bill for $850?

That's the kind of thing that the OP was complaining about.

Thank you. Finally someone gets it.

Actually, no, he only sort of gets it. That was a comment on a particular
plumber. It doesn't represent how all plumbers will operate. My major
complaint was that I can't get someone to actually show up, quote the job,
and do the work. If I finally find a couple more whose math is faulty, I'll
come back here and adjust these comments.

This is boring so I quit.