John Hines

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
news:IhmQe.313711$xm3.306072@attbi_s21...
I just heard the mayor of New Orleans talking on CNN. He said that the
hurricane is likely to shut down 1/3 of the gasoline and natural gas
imports
to the United States this week, and that the shutdown would last for
months
to come. This sounds like some serious ****.

They shut down the off shore drilling rigs and the shipping lanes from South
America are blocked or disrupted for a time. I don't know how real it all
is, but you can be sure the price will go up.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/28/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

From that fine article:
"As of Saturday, 563,000 barrels daily crude output had been shut in due
to the threatening storm. Shell Oil Co., which was evacuating all 1,019
of its offshore workers in the central and eastern Gulf on Saturday, had
the bulk of closed Gulf daily oil production, with 420,000 barrels
turned off."

"Shell also said 1.345 billion cubic feet per day, or Bfd, of natural
gas had been shut by Saturday."

"Chalmette Refining LLC, which operates a New Orleans-area refinery, was
shutting down production in preparation for the approach of the
hurricane, which is predicted to produce winds near 131 mph (210 kph)
when it charges ashore on Monday. "