Andy Hall

Default Fridge water supply

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:53:02 +0100, "Bob"
wrote:

I know I could do all that, but to be honest, I just want the damn thing
fixed with the least hassle.

I understand your frustration

The workings of the fridge are so simple even
a monkey could fix them (although not the monkey that works for Expert
Appliance Care apparently). The fan is all sorted now, so all that is left
is the pipe. If I could get a suitable connector, it would be repaired in
minutes. Whirlpool were happy enough to send parts free of charge, but the
trouble is they have sent things that are completely wrong - even the Expert
Appliance guy received the same wrong water pipe as I did.

I did follow all the proper procedure initially, but it just became too much
aggravation to keep chasing people up.

Hence the suggestion of going back to the retailer, who has the legal
responsibility and cancelling the card transaction. When this is
done, it normally gets the retailer's attention. You shouldn't have
to keep chasing up the manufacturer and their service agent - the
retailer owns the problem. As I said, I would have given them 14
days to fix and then cancel transaction and they can collect it.
Then buy a new one of a different brand.

Going further down the route you
suggest will just drag things out longer.

Bear in mind that if you fit "foreign parts" yourself, you will likely
void the warranty and weaken your position if you wanted to pass the
issue back to the retailer where it belongs.

I intend to write to Whirlpool
after I've fixed everything and see what they have to say for themselves.

Very little I would imagine apart from a "terribly sorry" letter from
some junior person in customer service and perhaps £20 of Marks and
Spencers vouchers.

Your contract of supply is with the retailer and the whole thing could
have been resolved far more easily.

The manufacturer does not have a commercial relationship with you and
you have no lever over them at all.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl