Puddin' Man

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:55:32 -0400, "HeatMan"
wrote:

Here's my opinion.

It's about done for. Replace the entire furnace. The money you save in
utility bills will probably pay for the new furnace in 10 years

Your opinion is respected. If I had the $, I would
honor it. Simplest and most logical solution.

Unfortunately, I gotta nurse it "'till the wheels
fall off".

Thanks,
Puddin'

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .
Old Carrier furnace and heat-exchanger

'owdy,

I belong to a little brick bungalow in the US midwest. Back in
'84, I had new heat/AC equip. installed.

The furnace, a middle-of-the-line Carrier (but made by Bryant)
is a standard forced-air-system unit, maybe 120k btu, with an
elec. vent damper. Has given good service, 'tho I had to
intall a new gas valve in the 90's.

Every late summer I clean the rust out of it. And I -try-
to get a peek at the heat-exchanger with one of those
little hinged mirrors like the dentist uses. Can actually
see very little.

About how long might such a furnace last with average
(midwest) usage?

The part that usually fails in late life is indeed the
heat-exchanger? How can I tell when its failing? I
assume I'd need to replace the unit and budgeting
could be b-b-bitch.

Thanks,
Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***