Pete C

On 29 Aug 2005 02:41:28 -0700, wrote:

Well I tried to digest this lot and couldn't, I understood all of the
words but unfortunately none of the sentances It actually wasn't
that bad. I am confused at when you state that I would only need 0.8
bar to produce a flow rate of 50l/m,

Oops, sorry to confuse, I meant if the pump is working at a flow rate
of 50l/m the pressure at the output of the pump will drop to 0.8 bar.

this has obviously something to do
with the head size but this bit confuses me, what exactly is head? (no
comments please) Is it the distance from the cold water tank to the
shower?

With a gravity fed shower, yes. If using a booster pump it's also used
to measure the pressure at the output of the pump.

Say the level in a tank is 30m(!) above a gravity fed shower, this is
a 30m head which creates about 3 bar pressure at the shower head. So
all the pump is doing is creating the same sort of pressure or head
that you would get as if you had a tank wayyy above the shower instead
of a few m above, so giving a more powerful shower.

The bottom line is that HR have stated that the shower should work with
1.5 bar pump. I am not even getting a good jet from the body jets alone
with a 3 bar pump and that to me is just not right. As I said in my
other posts on the last measure the jets produced 15 l/m on their own.

It really shouldn't be this hard

Something to try might be to get a water pressure gauge from Screwfix
and check the pressure on either side of the pump output is at least
1.5 bar when the bodyjets are running.

If it is then either the problem is with the connections to the panel
or the panel itself (faulty or a bit crap), if not the something is
definitely wrong with the pump or the feed to the pump.

You could also check the readings and the flow rate with ST to see if
they think the pump is OK. Looking at the web page I mentioned a 3 bar
twin should give you about 2.5 bar at the output of the pump when
running at 15l/m flow rate.

cheers,
Pete.