George

"charlie b" wrote in message
George wrote:
Don't expect this to go over well with the "I use my (big-name grind or
alloy here) gouge for everything" set. Some folks will go to any length
defend an expensive purchase.

charlie b responded
When I was making jewelry - on a budget - I knew folks who
bought every WhipZam New & Improved Custom Deluxe machine,
tool and device that came along and seemed to assume that the mere
possession of them would automatically make them a better
jeweler. All too often the thing didn't a) live up to the hype
in the ads and b) the owner usually didn't follow the limited
"instructions" that came with it, if it was read at all.

In most instances I've learned that expensive tools don't make
up for a lack of knowledge, skills and abilities (and I've bought
more than my share of that stuff - as those of you who also
are in rec.woodworking know) - or - take just as long to
learn to use them properly as the "not as good" machine/tool
and may not yield better results.

Or, we indulge ourselves in a hobby without particular attention to
cost/benefit ratio. I own several one trick ponies because there are two
standard gift days and a Hallmark holiday per year, and I have three
children and a wife. Makes a dozen gifts per year, because who really
answers the "what do you want for _" question with "underwear?" Lately I've
escalated my requests, so they have to combine.

Read the article, and it's a good one, save he seems concerned only with the
entry into the cut in his analysis of rolling moment. Once the bevel is in
contact, it becomes part of the tool's stability, which is where
"fingernail" grinds fall further behind, because the bevel angle is
variable, and changing the depth of cut only can cause instability due to
angle of attack and lack of support.