Dave Hinz

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:15:31 GMT, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I could swear I saw "reinstall" in your post. If not, then nevermind,
but just cleaning a cache also won't remove any viruses or other
malware...

LOL. Reinstall IE was my first comment...

Ah. But that's just replacing the broken component with the same thing
that's going to break and be insecure anyway. Better to fix the root
cause of the problem.

Disk clean-up was suggested as a first step. It's a Windows function in XP
(and maybe 98, 2000, etc.) Mostly it's harmles... Except if you have
important or large files cached that are necessary for something.

Right, but I'm not aware of any viruses which just stay in your disk
cache rather than installing themselves somewhere more insidious.

99% of the time, it's a good idea to do it often just to keep the disk
clean - and thus unfragmented.

Removing cache files and defragmenting a hard drive are two very
different things.