Tim Williams

"manytoys" wrote in message
ups.com...
First question: can standard incoloy elements handle the temperatures
required? I suppose 1200 deg F to be safe?

I suppose.. I don't know what incoloy is in regards to heating elements.
Typical alloy used is called nichrome.

Second question: Approx what power am I looking at?
Inner dimensions with lid on is: dia 8 inches , height 10 inches.
Wall thickness 4 inches.
I guesstimate 2 kw will do.

3" wall will do. If possible, go with 1-2" light insulating brick or
castable refractory, then wrap that with an inch or so of kaowool or similar
product. And if you really want to go over the top, slather on some
ITC-100!

Third question: How do I do the temp control cheaply?

You don't. I mean you don't bother at all: why run your elements at
anything less than full power when you need all that heat in the pot to melt
the metal? People who build electric furnaces say "I always leave it at max
anyway". Even then, a melt takes a few hours, which does give you time to
ram a mold.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.