George

"charlie b" wrote in message
SNIP
The result is that
turners get HSS tools that are easier to manufacture
but more difficult to use than drop forged carbon
steel tools. The limitations on cross sections of
tools that must be ground to shape can mean that
the tool can work against the turner.

He concludes that many turners assume that
if they buy reputable tool maker tools that
when a tool misbehaves it's their fault. It
often is - but in some cases, it's the tool.

Don't expect this to go over well with the "I use my (big-name grind or
alloy here) gouge for everything" set. Some folks will go to any length to
defend an expensive purchase.