Don Foreman

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:17:11 -0400, "JB"
wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have the option of purchasing a South Bend Heavy 10 with D1-4 Chuck or a
Clausing 5914 lathe. Both are tooled about the same and price is about
equal ($2,600). Which is more rigid and would be considered a better lathe?
I am a hobbyist but want to purchase a commercial quality lathe. Would I be
better off passing on both and looking for a larger more rigid model?

Thanks afor the help.

Joe

I would pay less attention to the tooling than to the lathe itself,
and go with the best lathe. That would probably be the Clausing if
it's in good shape. The tooling would then only come into
consideration in deciding if the price was OK for the lot. A lathe
you're not happy with is no bargain even if it came with lots of
tooling. You can incrementally add/upgrade tooling later once you
have a lathe that you're happy with.

No comment on the prices since I haven't seen the machines and haven't
shopped for a long time.