Peter Wiley

In article , Wayne Cook
wrote:

On 27 Aug 2005 09:00:33 -0700, "CAMCOMPCO"
wrote:

To be honest, I am a wan-a-be inventor that fantasizes about the great
idea that will allow me to stop working for the man (Investment Banking
Firm). I like restoring cars and fabricating shop tools...but in the
end, the 2500 is all in. Now, as for tooling, SWMBO doesn't scrutinize
my every purchase...I can spend 100 here 100 there, just not 700 here
and 700 there. A MONARCH 10EE is a fantastic machine from what I have
read, just a bit to short...I don't want to permanently restrict myself
at the start. My thinking is that, while there may be a dozen great
lathes out there, aftermarket tooling and ease of future repairs
somewhat important...that's why I was looking at Clausing and SB. I
have a Logan 200, nice Lathe, a bit too small (weight), and not quite
as precise as I would like (wear and tear). It's also not a QC and
that is starting to Bug me the more I get into threading.....

I agree with Harold myself. If you're looking look for something
with some weight that is capable of decent cuts and accuracy. Now
while I've not used a South Bend myself I've looked at several and I
must say that I'm not impressed with the mass of the machine. I'm not
saying that they're not capable of good work (there's way to many of
them out there producing good work to ever say that) but that it's
just not a heavy duty machine. I know that Fitch always commented on
that. He had both a South Bend and a new import 14" lathe and used the
14" lathe nearly always just due the increased capability it had.

I don't know what a SB weighs, but I had an Aussie Premo about the same
size but a V bed config. 2 people could lift the headstock/bed assy
without too much dramas. I did a lot of work on that machine.

My Emco Maximat 11 weighs 180 kg. It was a lot more rigid & capable of
heavier cuts than the Premo. I don't use it much because ....

My Colchester Chipmaster weighs nearly 600 kg. It's a lot more rigid &
capable of heavier cuts than the Emco 11. I lucked into a good deal on
this machine.

The Monarch is heavier still and a better machine for about the same
work envelope. Friend of mine has one.

The other thing you get with mass & rigidity is repeatability. I was
doing a short production run, boring for bearings. Once I had the
settings dialed in, with a good QC toolpost I used to drill, rough
bore, finish bore and swap parts out. Check measure every couple. You
can get the same accuracy with a lot lighter machine, but you have to
work harder for it, and it takes longer.

My advice - but the heaviest machine you can find/afford/move, in
satisfactory mechanical condition. Screw the paint job. You can add
tooling to a machine by purchase or making it yourself, but the ony way
to get more mass/power is to buy another one.

PDW