axolotl

Richard Ferguson wrote:
I looked on the web, and did not find an answer to some basic questions
about the South Bend 9 x 20 lathe

Roughly how big are they? What is the footprint?

The three foot bed model has a footprint of 39 3/8" x 33 1/4"

How much do they weigh?

The shipping weight of the Model C was 320 pounds with motor and crate.
I have lifted the bed with headstock out of a car trunk and onto the bench.

Any good webpages on how to inspect one or value it?

Go to mermac.com and read "how to inspect a lathe"

I don't
have three phase in my shop, and a VFD is $200 or so.

Not an issue. It unusual to find one with a three phase motor. These are
small (1/4-1/3-1/2 HP depending on year) motors.

The webpage below
seems like a good place to start.

The Yahoo Southbend lathe group has a lot of information.

I understand that accessories can cost as much as the lathe. I would
imagine the 3 and 4 jaw chucks are among the more expensive accessories,
but what else is key?

I don't have a three jaw for the SB. I work with the headstock Jacobs
chuck, faceplate, and four jaw. The accessories you need will depend on
what you make.

Kevin Gallimore