DoN. Nichols

In article ,
JB wrote:
Don,

Many thanks for the response. After reading your post I did a little more
checking. The SB comes with far more of the tools you mentioned than the
Clasusing. Both lathes are in great condition but it is now apparent that
the SB is better tooled. Having said that, is the Clasing a more rigid
lathe that would make you lean towards it even with less tooling?

Yes, it would. But perhaps because I *own* a Clausing, and am
accustomed to its rigidity. I tend to use the largest shank tooling
which will fit in the quick-change holder for that very reason.

Prices for spare parts from Clausing Service Center have in the
past been more affordable than equivalent parts for the SB (based on
postings here over the years). However, the prices on some parts have
doubled in the past six or so years. This does show that they are
continuing to *make* parts for them, not just to sell off old stock, so
you can expect this sort of thing to happen as manufacturing costs go
up.

You probably should get opinions from others as well -- since I
am obviously biased.

Thanks again.

You're welcome,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564