DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Richard Ferguson wrote:

[ ... ]

I understand that accessories can cost as much as the lathe. I would
imagine the 3 and 4 jaw chucks are among the more expensive accessories,
but what else is key?

Well ... I just got through typing a list of the tooling which
could come with a lathe, and what some of it is useful for. This was in
another thread, asking for a choice between the SB Heavy 10 and a
Clausing 59??.

Rather than re-typing all of that, I'll simply suggest that you
find that thread and read it there. The only things which do not
apply are the references to chuck sizes, QC-toolpost sizes, and collet
sizes -- but everything else should apply.

One thing to watch for in the SB machines is whether it is a
model 'A', 'B', or 'C'. Model 'A' has the full power feed (longitudinal
and cross) with a quick-change gearbox. Model 'C' has only threading
with the "basket of gears" change system, where you tear down one
geartrain and build up another. (This tends to discourage setting the
right feeds for turning, simply because of the inconvenience.) The
model 'B' I think has the power cross-feed and longitudinal, but not the
quick-change gearbox. (Or is it the reverse?) Anyway -- having the
true power feeds reduces wear on the lathe's leadscrew and half-nuts, as
the power is picked off from a keyway which runs the length of the
leadscrew, instead of from the actual Acme threads. As a result, it
only gets wear when actually threading, which is usually a small enough
percentage of the total work so you will be fine.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564