Richard Ferguson

Default Basic Questions on South Bend 9 x 20

I looked on the web, and did not find an answer to some basic questions
about the South Bend 9 x 20 lathe (Yes, I know that there are different
models). I know zilch about lathes, never run one. I don't have any
buddies with lathes, so I would probably take a course at the local
community college.

Roughly how big are they? What is the footprint?

How much do they weigh?

Any good webpages on how to inspect one or value it? I know wear is a
big issue, so look for slop. The electric motor is another, I don't
have three phase in my shop, and a VFD is $200 or so. The webpage below
seems like a good place to start.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/page2.html

I understand that accessories can cost as much as the lathe. I would
imagine the 3 and 4 jaw chucks are among the more expensive accessories,
but what else is key?

I have probably read a hundred posts on the relative merit of new cheap
lathes from Asia vs. old iron, so no need to rehash that debate. I
would probably not want to undertake a major rebuild, I don't think I
know enough for that to be a good plan.

Thanks,
Richard