Well, I finally got a good solder joint and the post appears to be
solidly connected. I can now move the speaker or insert the bananna
plug without breaking the solder joint. It was matter of making sure
that both ends were well tinned and holding the iron on the post for
long enough to ensure that everything was melted together.

If this holds I think I'll give it some mechanical stength by filling
the area around the post with standard expoxy.

My conductive expoxy hasn't arrived yet but I'm guessing that the
tin/silver solder is a better solution from an electrical standpoint.

Thanks for all on this forum who helped me out. I'm forever in your
debt.

Thankfully I didn't do any damage to my speaker while dremelling.

You guys rock!
Vernon