Capitol

Just had a thought on looking at the isolating valves at B&Q, these
seem to restrict the flow somwhat and I have them on both inlet and
outlet pipes running from/to the pump. Could this be my problem?

I don't know, but I normally use Screwfix full bore valves ie 17293 or
equivalent from Toolstation to obtain maximum possible flow from a
gravity fed head. If your loft tank is only 25gallon, then the shower
time at say 2g/m can only be around 10 minutes max, maybe this is
another reason why the pump flow valves are not operating correctly.

regards
Capitol