Andy Hall wrote:
On 28 Aug 2005 01:22:24 -0700, wrote:

I have a seperate 25 Gallon cold water tank for the shower, this was
used to feed an old power shower prior to our occupancy and just a hot
water cyclinder which is a standard size as far as I can tell. Looks
like all the others I've seen in the past.

Richard, I haven't looked through the entire thread here, but are you
saying that this is a separate tank just for the cold of the shower or
does it provide the supply to the HW cylinder as well?

Sorry I was not clear, I have 2 cold water tanks, one feeding the
cyclinder and the other is on its own completgely seperate feeding the
shower only.

If so, this does have the potential of being dangerous if the cold
water should run out before the hot (e.g. if you are using water
faster than it is refilling or the mains fails.

The shower will shut off if this happens, according to their blurb.
Danger form scalding you mean?

Normally, with a single tank this is prevented by fixing the tank
connectors at different heights on the tank such that the feed to the
HW cylinder stops before the cold to the shower.

If the tanks are totally separate, then you can't guarantee this. As
a minimum, it would be a good idea to see what the shower valve does
(some cut out the hot supply if the cold fails).

There you go, this is what they say happens

If you can do it, a better solution could be to connect the two tanks
together (assuming that the levels and sizes are the same) using a
length of 28mm pipe between the two at low level. If this is done,
then it's best to have the float valve in one and the outlets from the
other so that you guarantee that water doesn't stagnate in the second
tank. However, if you have outlets from both in regular use, it
shouldn't matter. I did this in a former house which had a
restricted height space where the tanks could go and therefore fitted
two (one behind the other) to achieve the capacity.

The two tanks are actually at quite different levels. I will look at
doing this once I have my flow problems sorted out.

Thanks Andy

Cheers

Richard

--