David

In article .com,
writes

Andy Hall wrote:
On 27 Aug 2005 05:53:45 -0700,
wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

To the OP. That is bunkum.

No, it's not.

It is bunkum. To the OP, just....

Ignore him. All the manufacturers explicitly say do *not* use a hacksaw.

See my reply to Andy Hall. The biggest manufacturer, Hepworth appear
confused on the point.

Not really. The instructions are completely clear.

What Hepworth said was as clear as mud. They say don't use a hacksaw,
then say you can do the cut with a variety of tools. How are you
supposed to cut the pipe without a plastic pipe cutter? A James Bond
lazer? To me is clear that they meant don't cut with a hacksaw without
trimming or squaring, pushing in the pipe insert and then pushing the
fitting on. THAT is looking for trouble, and that is what they meant.

Yes you *may* get successful joints using one with care, but on the
occations that you don't you will have no one but yourself to blame.

Well who else are you going to blame if you screw up a pipe end? Take
care and a perfect pipe end can be achieved as Hepworth stated "using
a variety of tools".

They said that the inventive may do that. They didn't say that they
thought it was a good idea.

If they didn't think it was a good idea they wouldn't have said it. It
is clear they said you can make the cut "without" a plastic pipe
cutter.

So why make life difficult for yourself, when even the cheapie Screwfix
vinyl pipe cutter will do the job for under a fiver?

A waste of time and a liability from bitter experience. Either use a
top quality plastic pipe cutter, or a hacksaw, stanley knife and fine
file to trim off.

Don't use poor quality tools, it is not worth it.

I certainly agree with respect to using good quality tools. However,
I've had perfectly good results with a £5 pipe cutter as well as a £15
one. I may be sufficiently inventive to have success with other
things like a mitre saw - who knows. I also follow manufacturers
instructions unless there is a very good reason not to do so. Here
there really isn't.

There is, if you don't have a good cutter available. If you have a good
cutter use it. If not you can do the plastic pipe cut by using a
hacksaw, stanley knife and fine file. I have done many that are as good
as a cut by my full professional cutter, and never had any problems.
And I wasn't even that inventive. I used everyday tools in my tool box.

Do you have to be so moronic?

I can now see why you agree so much with John Burns (Drivel), anonymous
poster, listen to me I've sold more houses than you've had hot dinners..
pursuing pointless arguments

--
David