carl mciver

"Stuart Grey" wrote in message
SNIP|

| These are examples of how the laws allow a conspiracy to plunder the
| company.
|
| Lets face it, a good, competant MBA could manage these companies MUCH
| better and would probably feel overpaid at $250,000.

I would love dearly to have a job like that.... yeah right. My wife
thinks so too, until I explain that it ain't no 9 to 5 job, and she'd rarely
see me. All it takes is _one_ executive to **** up, even in a very small
way, to cost thousands their jobs. My employer, Boeing, hired a woman right
after she gave the company some preferential treatment. That's one mistake.
They also hired her daughter and the daughter's boyfriend. The daughter
started the ball rolling. Said her mom wanted to work for Boeing because
she really "likes the integrity" of the company. I and many of my coworkers
had spent massive amounts of time helping to design and build that plane,
and were almost done with the first one (paid for out of the company's
pocket, to boot!) when that **** hit the fan. One sonuvabitch is all it
took. Phil Condit, an engineer who worked his way up to the top, got caught
banging his secretary (his predecessor had his pants down so often that a
large Seattle hotel remodeled a monster suite just for him and his rotating
lays) and that was enough, especially after we all just got done signing
ethics pledges. We all watched him sign it, too, on video, and that was
done for folks who think rules don't apply to the top. It was bad what he
did, but I'm glad he stepped down rather than **** up any more on the
company's behalf. I give him credit for that, although banging his
secretary isn't usually a firing offense in my book unless it affected his
ability to do his job.
On the other hand, janitors, if they **** up, nobody dies or loses their
jobs other than their own, at worst. I've seen gobs and gobs of "competent"
MBA's come through, starting out as managing a crew building the airplane.
Couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the ground. One out of a dozen was
worth a ****. One. Last I heard he was a director after a few years.
Smart guys move up quick. I was glad to know him.
Many companies, when big sales are on the line, send out the CEO to do
business, and big clients like knowing that the very top is part of it.
Personal guarantee. I can easily imagine that one odd look will be enough
to blow a billion dollar sale. If he makes a deal that keeps the lines
humming for many more years, I don't have a problem paying him a great wage.
On the other hand, the CEO of a company had better not think of it as "his"
company, 'cuz I'll be in front of the line to kick his ass out.
I look at it this way: Pay equals performance equals pay. Anyone who's
worked in assorted jobs understands the value of good management and
leadership, and the critical nature of their skills as it relates to the
health of the company and its employees. You can also look at it this way.
Any company with a CEO has a board of directors. The board of directors are
voted in by the stockholders. Should the stockholders not like the course
of business, they can call on the directors to chop his head off. Should
the board of directors choose not to, then their own jobs are on the line.
Since they are also major stockholders, they stand to loose gobs of money
when bad things happen. Bill Gates has done a wonderful job of infiltrating
every segment of society with his software, and it has done many good things
for the world. Some bad, as debatable, but for the most part very good
things. Since he's done so well, I have no problem with him making as much
money as he does. I hear he's a bit of an ass, while Paul Allen is cool,
but his sister runs Vulcan enterprises and is the royal bitch of all
bitches. Obviously she didn't earn all Paul's money!
Everyone has a boss, you see, even if it _is_ the wife of the owner!