george

"Chris" wrote in message

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
UL listing doesn't necessarily mean its safe.
Some serious pieces of crap are UL listed.

I agree 100% not what it use to be. Better than nothing though.
As a youngster we had a UL listed dishwasher burn down our house.

Chris

You've really got to interpret WHAT is UL listed. If it is on the cord,
then the cord
is UL listed...not in whatever application it happens to be used in (i.e.,
you can put
a UL listed lampcord on your 3hp tablesaw). It used to be that
manufacturers submitted
entire products to UL for listing. Now it is more likely that the
manufacturer or
distributor purchased a UL listed component for use in their product.

On the dishwasher subject, I had a US made (major manufacturer) dishwasher
switch
assembly MELT in normal operation. I am an electrical engineer and
disassembled
my dishwasher and went to purchase a replacement switch...found out I
couldn't buy
the switch, they only sold a "control assembly" for $200. I took the switch
into work
and took digital photographs of it and emailed the manufacturer and included
a digital
photo and said something in my email to the effect of: "I am an electrical
engineer and
the mode selection switch MELTED in my dishwasher. I brought it into work
and have
it sitting on the top of my partition. It seems to be attracting a lot of
concerned attention
from our engineers who seem worried that it might be from one of OUR
products. It is
quite the conversation piece. See attached photo." At that point, I'd
already replaced
the dishwasher with a totally different brand. But it was nice to get $100
from the
manufacturer for the switch to help defray the cost of the new dishwasher.

George