Wayne Cook

On 27 Aug 2005 09:00:33 -0700, "CAMCOMPCO"
wrote:

To be honest, I am a wan-a-be inventor that fantasizes about the great
idea that will allow me to stop working for the man (Investment Banking
Firm). I like restoring cars and fabricating shop tools...but in the
end, the 2500 is all in. Now, as for tooling, SWMBO doesn't scrutinize
my every purchase...I can spend 100 here 100 there, just not 700 here
and 700 there. A MONARCH 10EE is a fantastic machine from what I have
read, just a bit to short...I don't want to permanently restrict myself
at the start. My thinking is that, while there may be a dozen great
lathes out there, aftermarket tooling and ease of future repairs
somewhat important...that's why I was looking at Clausing and SB. I
have a Logan 200, nice Lathe, a bit too small (weight), and not quite
as precise as I would like (wear and tear). It's also not a QC and
that is starting to Bug me the more I get into threading.....

I agree with Harold myself. If you're looking look for something
with some weight that is capable of decent cuts and accuracy. Now
while I've not used a South Bend myself I've looked at several and I
must say that I'm not impressed with the mass of the machine. I'm not
saying that they're not capable of good work (there's way to many of
them out there producing good work to ever say that) but that it's
just not a heavy duty machine. I know that Fitch always commented on
that. He had both a South Bend and a new import 14" lathe and used the
14" lathe nearly always just due the increased capability it had. He
did state that the South Bend was more soothing to use.

I have a friend here that has just upgraded his lathe from a fully
tooled and super nice shape Atlas 12" cabinet model to a 14" Logan. It
ended up costing a little more than he expected due to a few surprises
but overall he's much happier with the Logan. He did manage to sell
the Atlas for about twice what he'd paid for it not counting the parts
and accessaries he added and it offset the cost considerably (which
overall wasn't much over what your budget is even when counting the
shipping from NY to TX and the new worm and wheel he had to buy for
the feed in the apron). It is not the equal to my Pratt and Whitney
but it isn't anything to sneeze at either. It's fully capable of
adequate cuts and accuracy. My only complaint is that the feed train
is noisy and not as refined as it is on more industrial oriented
lathes.

Given your requirements above I'd say that a 14" Logan might well
fit into the picture. It has the weight, the support, and a decent
amount of tooling available that you're looking for. However if you're
willing to look harder for the parts and accessaries then consider
Pratt and Whitney (since you've already discounted the 10EE I think
mine is great and has enough increased capacity over a 10EE that it
should do most of what you want), larger Monarchs are out there as
well though most do jump rather fast up above the 10EE, there's also
the LeBlondes which make a pretty darn good small lathe for someone
like you (I don't think as much of them in a production environment
but that's a totally different story). The fact is there's more good
lathes out there than I can even think of at the moment. The Clausings
might well be a good choice. Unfortunately my experience with them is
limited to seeing a few at auctions and the like.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm