carl mciver

"Chris" wrote in message
| Well we are talking foam are we not? How expensive can that be? If it
was
| modeled after emachineshop.com customers would do the leg work. Snap on
| would proof it then send the foam to the waterjet (I assume that is what
| they are using to cut it).

The key is not that the foam is expensive (they will send you samples
with a price list. I handed my info to someone who retired shortly
thereafter, ruining the chance of me getting it back.) but that the proper
tool profiles are in the database. Toolfoam kinda does that, after you send
them the tools the first time.
I'll describe how I made the tool pallets by hand. The pallets were
layered foam, with the top layer being a different color for contrast from
the remaining layers. Additional layers are cut out deeper to match the
tool, with the bottom layer having little to no cutouts. Keeps the tools
from falling out the bottom if you pick it up. If it stays in a drawer, you
don't need a bottom layer, but you ought to glue it down to the bottom. I
used 1/4" and 1/2" layers (funny, the toolfoam 1/2" thick was two pieces of
1/4"!) but you use whatever you have and works for you.
Playing around with a piece of paper or something the size of the
pallet, I figure out the arrangement. Cut out a roughly square piece of
foam (thickness to suit, but not the full thickness.) about an inch larger
all around than the final size of the pallet. Outline your tools onto the
foam, and consider what finger and hand access you need to remove the tools
from the foam. Long narrow islands or bridges will be weak in layered foam,
so keep that in mind. Without removing the piece, cut the line all the way
around the tool. A piece of wood to cut against helps a lot. When you've
made all the cutouts, cut out another layer the same size. Using Scotch 77
spray adhesive (better poly high density foam has issues with a lot of
adhesives) spray both mating surfaces thoroughly and allow both pieces to
dry. Using a heat gun and the process described on toolfoam.com to glue the
layers together. Once stuck together safely, now remove the plugs you cut
out. The idea is that little flaps and whatnot won't flop around when you
do it this way, and your integrity will stay. Repeat the process for
additional layers as you see fit. When complete, trim the outside
dimensions all in one cut. I tried lining the precut edges up and it just
didn't work well and came apart quickly.
A bunch of folks used this lighter but thicker 4lb crumbly foam and cut
into it from one side, but it turns out looking crappy and didn't last very
long. The foam they had to work with sucked, and they didn't know there was
better stuff. Could be that they didn't care. I used this stuff for
prototypes then moved to the layered toolfoam (6lb polyethelyne. Snap on
uses different foam of a different weight, which is really nice) stuff when
I had the layout where I wanted it. For my application, folks carried the
tool pallets around and worked out of that, but for many, they would just
work right out of the rollaway. All depends on your needs.

| Although I think we are seeing a small market with very little
competition.
| You mentioned the cost of the foam at Toolfoam.com. I am sure that it is
| high, but again we are talking foam here. It does seem like they are
geared
| towards large manufactures and the military. Tough markets to get into,
| thus the cost as well.
|
| Come to think about it, should I be talking about this out loud, or should
| be selling my idea to emachineshop.com? To be honest all they would need
in
| their program is a diagram of all the tools. Probably the most valuable
| part of the whole process.

I guess that's the key. How to create the diagram, make it a 3D model,
figure out what format it ought to be in, and find someone who can cut it
out. It might be that a router is better than a waterjet because a router
can cut without having to go all the way through. Some tools obviously need
to fit deeper than others, and you will have some placed in differently. On
their side, face down, face up, etc, and thus the 3D model or diagrams for
each method.
emachine shop could possibly do that, but you would have to send them
the digital file with what the foam pallet looks like, and I'm sure to have
them put layers together before machining might be tough. Besides, wouldn't
you like to have the foam in your hands and play with it before you commit
to cutting it all out.

| Again Snap On already has the investment done with the tools database.
Put
| something like emachineshop and the database together and think about it.

I cannot imagine them parting with something so valuable. They have
their own shops they contract to to cut. The shop is called Victory Foam,
but I don't know anything about them. I think they're in California.

| Dare I ask how much the foam costs?

Call and ask. It wasn't incredibly expensive if I recall correctly, but
I do remember the color selection was a bit limited for my taste.

| Another question. Can you add tools with the Foamtools system? Or does
| laminating it end the process? Static cling (if possible) would be a cool
| way to add tools.
|
| Chris

I wouldn't call it much of a system. Alterations would depend on your
arrangement with them, and how you want to handle it. You can cut out
additional holes yourself, which is a lot cheaper than having them do it, or
you can have replacement pallets made. The more complex, the more it costs.
I wouldn't bother for one offs, but quantity brings the cost down. They did
send me a quote after I sent them pictures, sizes, and the quantity of each.

Honestly, though I think you would be better off with the Snap On
system, unless you're just buying the foam and cutting it out yourself.
It's a fully capable system from beginning to end, and their database is
unbeatable. It's cheaper than the toolfoam, too. My shop didn't go with it
due to a bunch of management incompetence and lack of a plan, so it flopped.
I'll be back from a medical leave of absence in November, maybe and will
have a long chat with the managers. I laid out the process for them that I
guaranteed to work, and it fit perfectly with Snap On's process as well as
all the other processes and documents we have to work to as far as tool
control and whatnot. Armed with the information I learned and passed on to
you, you might be able to find something more locally that suits you and is
marketed for a more generic market, thus less pricey. You might have a
local plastic supplier that could sell or point you towards 4 to 6 pound
closed cell foam of a grade that resists solvents and such.