Harold and Susan Vordos

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message .net...

I wouldn't close the door on other makes of machines if it was up to me.
I'd keep my eyes open for a good LeBlond, P&W, Lodge & Shipley,

American,
Mori-Seiki, Graziano, Monarch or any other decent make of machine, and
there's lots of them from which you can pick. The likelihood of

finding
good machine would improve considerably, and you'd never regret getting

an
industrial rated machine instead of a light duty one. All of this, of
course, hinges on your ability to house and use a larger machine, and if
your work justifies it.

I'll put in a plug for my personal favorite small lathe. Monarch 10EE,

only
'cause I own one. Here's a recent ebay sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONARCH-10EE-10x...OF-EXTRAS_W0QQ
itemZ7537592188QQcategoryZ633QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a toolmaker quality machine. Prices have been going very

reasonable.
Price is generally far below the Hardinge HLV, an equivalent machine. Its
principle weakness is the DC drive. This can easily be upgraded to 3 phase
spindle motor and VFD speed control. Other thing to check is if the swing
and length are adequate for your needs - 10"x20"

Karl

Excellent choice of machine, with virtually no equal known. If yours is in
good condition, I'm green with envy. I spent a great deal of time running
what was then a new one.

They're not a 10" machine, however. They are a 12" machine. I have no idea
why they are called a 10. Some were offered with longer centers, but they
aren't common. I've seen only one.

Harold