Peter Hyde

In article ,
Owen Lowe wrote:

Dry enough to turn? No such thing. I look at it a different way: is the
wood too dry to have an enjoyable turning experience? Dress in your
worst clothes, don your face shield and begin turning immediately. The
wood is a joy to work when it's wet - much easier cutting and
substantially less dulling on the tool edges. Be forewarned though - the
spinning wood will spray a stripe of water on you, the lathe, back wall
and the ceiling - some folks hang shower curtains to form a little
"room" to contain the wet shavings and flung water. Read up on turning
green wood as you may need to turn it twice before you end up with what
you're after.

Qwen,
thanks for a nice comprehensive post on preparation for drying. Now for
the big question. How do you stack the logs? Lay them on their sides a
la firewood or stand them on end? I read somewhere, maybe in this group,
that logs stood on end do not crack as much and dry faster. Anyone?

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/