Robert Swinney

Karl sez:

"Its principle weakness is the DC drive. This can easily be upgraded to 3
phase
spindle motor and VFD speed control."

Karl, can you give a bit more information re. upgrade to 3-Phase and VFD
control? I helped a friend go through the "electrics" on a 1964 Monarch
10EE. We repaired and restored the original DC speed control function.
This involved a lot of labor and troubleshooting time plus the cost of a new
( nominal $500) vacuum tube. Please elaborate a bit on the difficulty and
cost of replacing the DC motor with 3-Phase and VFD speed control. How
difficult was it to integrate into the Monarch's transmission? Was there a
space problem? Did you restore the original 10 HP capability of the
Monarch?

Bob Swinney

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message .net...

I wouldn't close the door on other makes of machines if it was up to me.
I'd keep my eyes open for a good LeBlond, P&W, Lodge & Shipley,
American,
Mori-Seiki, Graziano, Monarch or any other decent make of machine, and
there's lots of them from which you can pick. The likelihood of
finding a
good machine would improve considerably, and you'd never regret getting
an
industrial rated machine instead of a light duty one. All of this, of
course, hinges on your ability to house and use a larger machine, and if
your work justifies it.

I'll put in a plug for my personal favorite small lathe. Monarch 10EE,
only 'cause I own one. Here's a recent ebay sale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MONARCH-10EE-10x...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a toolmaker quality machine. Prices have been going very
reasonable. Price is generally far below the Hardinge HLV, an equivalent
machine. Other thing to check is if the swing and length are adequate for
your needs - 10"x20"

Karl