Steven L Umbach

Thanks for that info.

I did notice the problem right away on the first coat though I may also have
applied the second coat to soon. I still think there was a problem with that
particular gallon of paint. I used three coats of Benjamin Moore after using
their tinted primer and it looks great now. They did suggest to give the
first coat 24 hours to dry and then 8 to 24 hours for coats after that. This
is the first time I have ever had problem with painting [53 years young
here] and it was a good but expensive learning experience. Anyhow daughter
is happy with the new look of her room and that is worth a lot more. ---
Steve

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:43:21 -0500, "Steven L Umbach"
wrote:

The primer was Zinnser FastPrime 2 from Menards which is supposed to work
over or under latex paint on drywall, etc. The paint was called Pittsburg
Distinction with lifetime warranty from Menards. I could not find any info
about it on Pittsburg Paints website so it must be a store brand. My wife
went to Benjamin Moore paint dealer and they said they rarely have
complaints about Pittsburg paint. Maybe my wife did not mix the primer
enough? I had a hard time mixing the paint and spent over ten minutes
stirring it like a crazy man [could not find my drill stirrer]. So I am
not
exactly sure what happened but I was able to clean up the paint drips or
"mini paint sildes" failry well and the Benjamin Moore primer went on like
dream completely covering the old mess and leaving a dark pink color. They
said to expect to use at least three coats of paint over the primer for
that
red color. Hopefully things will go smooth from here. --- Steve

Zinnser has always worked well for me... no compatibility issues that
I've ever run across. But the thing that stuck out at me was your
mention of "mini paint slides". I used to have a problem with that,
if it's what I'm thinking of, and it was because of not waiting long
enough for the first coat to dry to recoat, or overworking the surface
by trying to touch up areas after the paint had begun to set up.

It's really worth waiting a while, even as long as an entire day,
between coats. Seems simple and sometimes unneccesary, but it really
makes a big difference in the finished product.