HeatMan

"No" wrote in message
Doug, where you at? I've got a guy I use. SE PA. I actually found him
through the online referral service called "service magic" The referral
service actually worked well for me. http://www.servicemagic.com/

Not me, I will not list my business on SM. Why? They would send me an
email with the job spec _as written by the homeowner_. I'd accept the job
and pay SM the $10 they wanted. I'd call the customer and go actually look
at the job. What they wrote and what they needed was no where near the
same. I'd bid the job and not get it. I've found out since then mostly
drunks and losers list with SM...

-B

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
What is it with plumbers?

I need a short list of plumbing jobs done, varying in difficulty level
from "I could do it, but I'd rather not", to "WAY beyond my skills".

Plumber 1: Gave estimate of $1500.00, and about 6 hours of work. Said

his
rate was $60 per hour, and materials for the work are around $100. For
purposes of discussion, I did the math allowing for 10 hours (because

you
never know), and questioned why the estimate was twice as much as

likely.
He said "That's just what it costs. Let me know if you want to do it".

Plumber 2: Highly recommended by a number of people. Never showed up to
look at what needed to be done, even though I work at home and could've
accomodated his visit ANY TIME that was convenient for him.

Plumber 3: Another referral. Stopped by (mid-July), looked at what

needed
to be done. I told him that I needed an estimate not because I was price
shopping (because I'm really not), but so that I could budget the work,
and know whether to do it in pieces, or all at once. Said he understood,
said he'd call back with prices, never called back. His assistant keeps
saying he will, but it's August 26th and......

Anyway, are we all in the wrong business? Do these guys really have so
much work that they can be this way with potential customers?