Chris Lewis

According to Percival P. Cassidy :

I have used only a regular incandescent bulb in the opener-associated
light fitting: it will normally be on for only a few minutes at a time,
so the expense of a CF bulb would take years to recover. The fluorescent
lights in question are the CF ones in the original ceiling light sockets
-- but whether they are on or off makes no difference.

Let me get this right:

You have CF lamps, unconnected with the garage door unit, that appear
to cause problems with the garage door unit, and the problem will "initiate"
EVEN IF the CFs are off?

I suppose it's very marginally possible that their assessment is correct,
but it shouldn't be that sensitive.

A couple things you could try to rule in/rule out: try putting an optical
barrier between the CFs and the GDO, or block off the IR sensor so that
it only can "see" the directions where the actuators are. Check to make
sure that the CF switching actually switches off the hot, not the neutral.
Pull the CFs from their sockets and see if the problem persists.

If it were a classic tube fluorescent, the first thing I'd do is make
sure the fixture case was solidly grounded and that it was only the hot
being switched.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est